Data security and privacy have become major areas of concern in this digital world. As the number of cyber attacks and data breaches have increased considerably in number , businesses and individuals are constantly seeking ways to improve their security measures and privacy. Use of fiber optics is among one such measure. In this article let us discuss how fiber optic cables improve data security and privacy.
What are Fiber Optic Cables?
Fiber optic cables transmit data signals in the form of light pulses by using thin strands of glass or plastic. They can transmit data at much higher speed over greater distances. They may be used to convey voice, video and data. They are not disturbed by electromagnetic interferences. So it is advisable to use these cables in high-speed data networks.
Uses of Fiber Optics
As these cables do not use metallic wires , hence it has ruled out traditional modes of networking. These cables are used in different fields which are discussed as follows:
- Medical Industry – Due to its thin and flexible nature it is used in the majority of medical instruments. It serves as a laser while performing surgeries or biomedical research.
- Communication – In contrast to traditional copper wires optical wires are less heavy , carry more data and are more flexible. It is also useful for long distance communication.
- Defense sector – These cables are apt for data transmission in aerospace and military applications that require high data security.
- Industrial Belts – In many industries optical fibers are used in imaging. They are also used for lighting purposes in automobile industries.
- Broadcasting – These cables can broadcast TV signals that are characterized by greater bandwidth and high speed.
- Lighting and Decorations – These cables offer easy, attractive and budget friendly solutions to various types of lightning projects.
- Mechanical Inspections – Engineers use this to find out any damage onsite which is very difficult to find out by looking at the object. Plumbers are also using these cables to detect any damage in the plumbing system
Role of Fibre Optic Cables In Improving Data Security & Privacy
Companies and businesses are spending a bulk amount of money each year to ensure data security and privacy. So in addition to superfast speed it also offers higher security than other forms of high speed internet access.
- Highly Resistant To Tapping
These cables are highly resistant to tapping. So data transmitted through them are much more secure than the traditional copper wires. Another important factor is that the fibre optic cables do not emit electromagnetic ignals. So these cannot be intercepted by hackers. They can’t be tapped
easily and if by chance it is tapped immediate alerts are received by the network administrator. This makes these cables ideal for transmitting sensitive data.
- Physical Security
Physical security provided by the fiber optic cables are noteworthy because cutting and splitting fiber optic cables by hackers are too difficult.
Another advantage of fiber optic cables is their reliability so it offers the employees of a company greater dependability on a connection which will hardly fail or degrade. Fiber offers fast and dependable connections and it eliminates the need for employees to bypass network controls.
- Long Distance Transmission
Fiber optics can transmit secure data over long distances. This is especially important for businesses that have multiple locations and need to transmit data between them securely.
- Reliability From External Sources
These cables are highly resistant to interference from external sources such as lightning, power surges, and other electrical disturbances. This ensures security and reliability even in the event of an unexpected power outage or other disruptions.
- Low Maintenance Cost
Fiber optic cables are also very long lasting and require less maintenance. Since they are not affected by electromagnetic interference, they face minimal signal degradation over time. Hence there is no need for frequent maintenance and repairs. Overall, while the initial cost of installing a fiber optic network may seem costly, the long-term cost savings and improved performance makes it a cost-effective solution for businesses.
- Environment Friendly
In addition to these benefits, fiber optic cables are also eco-friendly. Since they require less power to operate and have a good longevity than usual copper cables, they have a lower environmental impact.
- Reduced Risk Of Cyber Threats
Fiber optic internet is more secure than traditional internet options. This reduces the risk of cyber threats and data breaches. Thus the companies can save huge amounts of money invested on security measures.
To conclude, fiber optic cables are a highly effective way to improve data security and privacy. Their resistance to tapping, physical attacks, reliability and external interference makes them an ideal choice for businesses looking to enhance their security measures.