Nowadays where we say that the world is a global village, wireless connectivity has gained supreme importance. Urban areas enjoy smooth connectivity through high speed internet connectivity but rural areas face a lot of hindrance in accessing reliable and affordable internet connectivity and services and it impacts the economic and social development of rural communities. Luckily wireless solutions have come out as a game changer to overcome these connectivity challenges and bridge the digital divide.
The Challenges of Rural Internet
- Limited Coverage – Rural areas most often experience limited coverage, as internet service providers (ISPs) struggle to build up a wide network, resulting in weak signals for the inhabitants.
- Lack of Infrastructure – Lack of proper infrastructure creates problems to deploy fibre optic cables in remote areas due to their cost and difficulty in deploying the cables.
- Low Population Density – This is economically unviable for ISP’s to invest in age old wired networks.
- Slow Speed – Rural connections face slower speeds compared to their urban areas, facing challenges for activities like video streaming, online gaming, and participating in video conferences.
High Costs –The lack of competition and infrastructure in rural lands leads to affordability issues for internet services compared to urban lands making it challenging for rural people to find a budget – friendly solution.
What to look for in Wireless Connectivity?
- Wide Coverage – Choosing a wireless solution that guarantees wide coverage, giving reliable connectivity even in remote areas.
- High Speeds – Selecting a service that offers high-speed internet, allowing you to go through smooth online activities without having any performance issues.
- Affordability –The total budget of the service should be taken care of including setup fees and extra costs such as data plans or equipment, to ensure it doesn’t burn a hole in the pocket.
- Portability – Looking for a solution that is portable, helping to stay connected while on the move is really necessary. This feature is especially advantageous for travelers or individuals who work remotely.
- Customer Assistance – Dependable client support is vital, providing assistance in case of tech issues.
Wireless Solutions for Overcoming Challenges
Connectivity adversities can be a limitation to development and progress in a rural setup. Let us take a glance at some key wireless technologies to overcome these challenges…..
- Satellite Internet: Satellite internet services can bring connectivity to remote areas where terrestrial infrastructure is inadequate. Satellites in geostationary orbit can provide broadband internet access to rural regions. While this technology has originally suffered from high latency and limited bandwidth, progress in satellite technology is improving upon these hindrances.
- Fixed Wireless Access (FWA): FWA uses wireless communication to provide high-speed internet access to a fixed location through radio frequencies. ISP’s can build base stations in rural lands and connect them to the internet backbone, providing broadband connectivity to adjacent homes and businesses. Various wireless technologies such as WiMAX, LTE, or 5G are used in this regard.
- TV White Space (TVWS): TVWS relates to the un utilized frequencies in the TV broadcast spectrum. These frequencies can be employed to deliver wireless internet access over far off distances and through hurdles like trees and buildings. TVWS technology can provide cheap connectivity solutions to these areas, using low-frequency bands with good infiltration characteristics.
- Mesh Networks: Mesh networks consist of multiple wireless nodes that communicate with each other to extend network coverage. In areas where the population density is low, deploying old cellular infrastructure can be challenging and costly. Mesh networks allow for a more flexible initiative, where each node acts as a relay to transmit data to neighboring nodes, reaching the internet gateway. This technology can help triumph over the lack of infrastructure and provide connectivity to remote areas.
- Community Cellular Networks: Community cellular networks are small-scale, localized cellular networks established and operated by the local community. These networks deploy low-power cellular technologies like GSM or LTE to provide voice and data services within a limited coverage area.
- Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Satellites: LEO satellite constellations aim to provide global broadband coverage, including rural segments. These satellite networks consist of thousands of small satellites in low orbits, minimizing latency and enhancing bandwidth. LEO satellites have the capacity to deliver high-speed internet access to rural segments that are currently underserved.
Role of Excel Wireless
Excel Wireless serves as a one-stop shop for every wireless signal boosting needs to provide seamless communications remedies through fast delivery and excellent client support.
Their custom products range from cell phone signal booster, cable assemblies, RF connectors, adapters, amplifiers, antennas to outdoor enclosures.
Excel Wireless: Bridging the Gap, Connecting Rural Communities
To conclude ,
Staying in rural areas doesn’t mean compromising on your internet connectivity. By carefully considering the factors explained in this post and exploring solutions like Excel Wireless, a reliable and a high-speed internet connectivity can even be enjoyed in the most remote locations.