In day-to-day activities, the WiFi Antennas have become an integral part of life but have you ever wondered how exactly the WiFi Antenna works? But before jumping on the antennas’ working mechanisms, one needs to understand a WiFi Antenna briefly. So answering the first question and answering all your queries. Here is a brief guide for you provided.
What is WiFi Technology?
WiFi, which stands for “wireless fidelity,” was invented by NCR Corporation/ AT&T in the Netherlands. Using the technology of WiFi, one can easily exchange information between two or multiple devices. Since its inception in the year, 1991 it has evolved and has been used in technologies such as laptops, mobile phones, DVD players, television, digital cameras, and others.
In simpler terms, WiFi is a technology that uses a wireless platform for connecting and transmitting the information. The mechanism of WiFi uses technology that effortlessly connects the local area networks and makes working easier. For example, a computer’s wireless adaptor transfers the data into a radio signal. Here is the list of the places in which the WiFi technology is popularly used:
- Transferring photos from digital cameras to mobile phones.
- Streaming audio to any speakers of the house.
- Syncing the photos to google clouds and other such devices.
- Business applications.
- Mobile applications.
- Home applications.
- Video conference.
- Automotive segment.
- Computerized application.
- Browsing the internet.
- DVD players.
However, there are certain limitations of the WiFi that you must be aware of-
- Risks of data security
- Interference from other devices like microwave ovens, telephones, etc
- Power consumption is high
- Range is limited
How Does WiFi Technology Work?
The WiFi mechanism works using three essential elements namely- router, radio signals, and WiFi antenna. The transmission of the information is possible mainly because of the presence of radio signals. The WiFi network allows one to access the web from any area if the network is provided. The radio signals are then transmitted from the antennas and routers that are further picked up by the WiFi receivers such as cell phones, computers, or laptops. The computer receives the signal within the range of 100-150 feet.
However, the range of the WiFi is dependent upon various factors such as-
- Metal and Floor heating.
- Thick Timber Walls
- Masonry and Concrete Walls
- Baby monitors, radios, Walkie-talkie
- Microwave oven
In simpler terms, the WiFi Antennas is a device that effectively converts the electrical signal to electromagnetic waves and vice versa. The converted EM waves are further radiated back into the atmosphere. The EM waves are then captured by the WiFi Antennas and are captured and converted back into electrical signals for further processing. Also, the antennas’ dimensions will vary to match the frequency or wavelength of the signal to be transmitted. Furthermore, the dimensions of various parts of the antenna depend upon the frequency of the EM waves that are being sent.
While getting access to a WiFi antenna, the first and foremost thing that should concern us is security. It is not safe to connect the device to the unsecured wireless routers, for this may lead to the device getting infected with malware and virus. Move over; the WiFi should always be protected with passwords. If the WiFi is left unprotected, anyone can connect to the network and then do illegal activities such as download illegal music, content, apps, or games; it can also be used by people in planning terror activities. Therefore, the WiFi network must be provided with the most optimized security.
You might now be wondering about the different kinds of WiFi technologies that are available, right! Well, we know what you are thinking and have the list provided for you already.
The Types of WiFi Technologies Available
Presently, four major types of WiFi Technologies are available, the names of which have been provided below-
- WiFi-802.11a- A series of wireless technology defines the structure and format of the radio signals sent by the WiFi antennas and the routers.
- WiFi-802.11b- In this, a bandwidth of 11mbps is supported. The spectrum frequency of the signal is 2.4GHz. Compared to the WiFi-802.11a, this wireless network has a low frequency. It often interferes with the micro ovens and cordless phones.
- WiFi-802.11g- A bandwidth of 54mbps is supported, and 2.4 GHz is used as the network frequency. It provides great speed and accessibility to the users. This WiFi technology effectively helps the new slander products.
- WiFi-802.11n- In the WiFi technology, it is the newest technology that has been specially designed to improve on 802.11g and supports bandwidth up to 100mbps.The amount of bandwidth is supported by utilizing multiple wireless signals and antennas instead of one.
So the next time when you are accessing the WiFi network, always remember you already know how the WiFi antennas work. For WiFi, technology is a straightforward and cost-effective method that allows the users to connect with the internet without using wires. Now just stop wondering and quickly get your WiFi connection done.